The Ultimate Guide to TOUGHBOOK Models
Mooring Tech, Inc. proudly presents the Ultimate Guide to Panasonic TOUGHBOOK® Laptops, Tablets and Handhelds. Discover the full range of models from the leader in rugged mobile technology.
If you are looking for a guide to the newest and best Panasonic TOUGHBOOK models on the market, you have come to the right place. In this guide, you will discover the features, benefits, and profiles of the ideal users for the highest-quality rugged and semi-rugged laptops, tablets and handheld models on the market today. Which TOUGHBOOK is right for you? Ultimately, only you can answer that question. But one thing you can be sure of: there is at least one TOUGHBOOK that will help you beat your daily challenges wherever you work. Read on to compare model specs and find the right ruggedized computer for the job... no matter how tough your activities might be.
- Fully Rugged TOUGHBOOK 20
- Fully Rugged TOUGHBOOK 31
- Fully Rugged TOUGHBOOK 33
- Semi-Rugged TOUGHBOOK 53
- Semi-Rugged TOUGHBOOK 54
Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 20
Offering the ultimate in portability and mobile performance, the fully rugged Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 20 has taken the Toughbook to new heights. The newest hybrid laptop/tablet in the TOUGHBOOK family, this is the world’s lightest and thinnest fully rugged two-in-one PC device, and it’s been designed specifically with tough business needs in mind. The Windows 10 Pro operating system can be downgraded to Windows 7.
Incredibly lightweight at little more than 3.8 lbs, this amazing device that launched mid-2016 offers the best of all worlds to field professionals on the move. Designed for challenging mobile business computing, it offers six different modes that are intended to meet every possible business need in less than perfect conditions.
The Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 20 is powered by the very best sixth generation Intel Core m5-6Y57 vPro processor that operates from 1.1 GHz to ultra-fast 2.8 GHz using Intel Turbo Boost technology. Tested for both water and dust resistance, it can be operated at relatively extreme temperatures from -10 °C (14 °F) to 50 °C (122 °F).
Built to accommodate a user-exchangeable battery that can extend the seven-hour battery life of the device to up to 14 hours, the TOUGHBOOK 20 has numerous features that make it an unrivaled mobile business machine. It is drop resistant to 4’, features a next generation IPS high-brightness outdoor display, and a glove-enabled touchscreen that may be operated with wet hands. There is also a desktop port replicator to make it easier for business operators to use, as well as a purpose-built vehicle mount.
Skinny, light, and good looking, with the TOUGHBOOK's unmistakably robust magnesium alloy chassis clad partly in silver plastic, this fully rugged machine has lasting benefits for workers and their bosses across the board. Ultimately, this device is aimed at field professionals who need to be geared to meet life’s toughest challenges. The new TOUGHBOOK 20 offers:
- Ease of Use The capacitive ten-finger multi-touchscreen and optional IP55 digitizer simplify data input and messaging.
- Leading Technology The best possible processing and display technology enables you to work inside or outside in various environments that may be hot, cold, clean, dirty, wet, or dry. Be confident wherever you are!
- Absolute Dependability Batteries are found in both the keyboard and tablet. Plus there are lockable covers for ports and slots that increase the dependability of this top class hybrid computer. It works just as well for dry or wet fingers and those that are gloved.
Ideal User Profile
The first fully rugged convertible PC, the TOUGHBOOK 20 caters for a surprisingly versatile range of users. These include:
- Mobile Consumer Services Not everybody in the field works dirty, but many industries work out. These include insurance assessors, as well as car hire and fleet management personnel. The rugged versatility of this relatively small mobile computer gives them the edge over their competitors, wherever they do business.
- Utilities and Telecommunications Service and maintenance technicians find themselves in all sorts of environments, both indoors and outdoors. Theirs is certainly not an office job and they need good, dependable equipment that will keep them communicating 24:7. The TOUGHBOOK 20 offers a perfect solution for their needs.
- Government Agencies, Defence, and Emergency Services These people work tough and they face challenges daily that most people never dream could happen to them. Having a fully rugged mobile computer that doubles as a tablet and a laptop is a huge advantage. Having a device that is lighter than others, totally reliable, and guaranteed never to let them down, is exactly what these tough pros need.
Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 31
Weighing in at a solid 8.2 lbs, the sixth generation Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 31 held its ground as the toughest PC notebook ever for quite a few years – until the entry of the TOUGHBOOK 33 in 2017. Designed for field-based professionals, this TOUGHBOOK is vibration, shock, water, and dust resistant and ideal for use underground, in tight spaces, or where wet or bad weather conditions present extreme challenges. It remains one of the best choices in terms of fully rugged mobile computers.
Clad in an armor-like magnesium alloy case, this mobile device is still extremely well positioned to handle the world’s most rugged environments. Its MIL-STD-810G and IP65 certifications confirm that it can take a six-foot fall and keep on running. From desert to tundra, war zones and more, the TOUGHBOOK 31’s sealed design can handle the most extreme climates, and most dangerous environments field workers will ever have to face.
The Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 31 incorporates powerful Intel processing technology in the form of the Intel Core i5-5300U (i7 optional) vPro processor. Boasting Intel HD 5000 graphics and 3MB cache, it is also extremely fast, running at 2.3 GHz. The Windows 10 Pro operating system comes standard but can be downgraded to windows 7 if required.
But this machine isn’t just built to last on the outside. Despite its heavy-duty frame, the amazing TOUGHBOOK 31 battery will run for up to 18 hours without needing a recharge. Combined with an exceptionally bright but easily dimmable, resistive touchscreen, and 4G LTE mobile broadband capability, this device was born for life out in the field.
For jobs that require a rugged heart and unbreakable will, the TOUGHBOOK 31 will be your constant companion. Here are the most salient benefits this quintessential TOUGHBOOK delivers:
- Unstoppable Service Its fully rugged frame and weatherproof seal ensure it will survive a long time, no matter what challenges your tough job throws at you.
- Unbeatable Performance Armed with most powerful processing technology, the TOUGHBOOK 31 delivers the speed you need to get fast results in high-intensity, high-pressure situations... when every second counts.
- Unquestionable Endurance The extra-long battery life on this device means you won’t have to worry about running out of power in a mission-critical situation or losing sensitive data in the field.
Ideal User Profile
The TOUGHBOOK 31 is suitable for the toughest jobs on the planet. Here are just a few examples of the professions this definitive rugged notebook is ideally suited for – and they love it:
- Field Services Its indestructible frame, combined with its wireless assets and long battery life, make the TOUGHBOOK 31 a favored model of all field services personnel.
- Construction The toughest job sites demand the toughest protection and safety equipment for workers in the field. The same concept applies to job site technology, which is why this device is a leading choice in the construction industry and can be found on some of the world’s largest building sites.
- Military From the army to the navy, marines to the National Guard, this battle-ready PC notebook incorporates mission-critical technology, which is why it’s used throughout the US armed forces.
- Emergency Services Firefighters, police, and EMS teams across the world need laptops that will spring into action quickly and never let them down when they need them most. With its fast boot-speed and powerful build, the TOUGHBOOK 31 is the perfect choice for emergency service workers and firefighters across the globe.
Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 33
Boasting ground-breaking features, the fully-rugged Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 33 is a seventh-generation machine that has claimed the title of the most robust TOUGHBOOK ever produced. But that’s not all. The TOUGHBOOK 33 not only has everything to make it the ultimate choice for mission-critical environments, it is also the first rugged two-in-one mobile device that can be used interchangeably as a laptop or a tablet.
The previous title-holder of most robust TOUGHBOOK on the market, the TOUGHBOOK 31 was thin and incredibly lightweight. That was mind-blowing, but the TOUGHBOOK 33 is an inch thinner and a whole lot lighter, giving first responders and professionals on the move an even greater advantage. Like its predecessor, it comes in Panasonic’s tough signature sealed magnesium alloy case, and everything about it is built for maximum mobility. Additionally, it is the very first rugged two-in-one mobile PC with a 3:2 screen which is also 50 percent brighter and has a 15 percent larger display than other mobile devices in its class.
The Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 33s that run on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit are powered by the most advanced Intel Core i5-7300U or i5-6300U (i7 optional) vPro processors that operate up to 3.5 or 3.9 GHz respectively, using proven Intel Turbo Boost technology. There is a professional downgrade option to Windows 7.
Tested according to stringent military standards, the TOUGHBOOK 33 can be operated in the most extreme conditions and will withstand extreme temperatures and every other possible condition or harsh treatment. The laptop can be dropped without fear of damage from 14 feet, while the tablet will withstand at least a five-foot drop. It wll also withstand solar radiation, fluid contamination, and exposure to an explosive atmosphere
There are two hot-swappable battery packs available with standard lightweight or optional long-life batteries that can be replaced at any time to ensure continuous use for up to 10-20 hours.
Other features that make the TOUGHBOOK 33 an unrivaled machine for emergency sectors include a 10-point multi-touch screen, a superior webcam and 8 MP rear camera with triple LED flash, and HD audio. The waterproof keyboard supports both rain and glove mode. There are also some great accessories including two separate vehicle docks that can be used for deployment and a choice of keyboards.
Skinnier and lighter than any other fully rugged TOUGHBOOK devices, the TOUGHBOOK 33 is tough as nails and built for abuse. It is meant for professionals on the move who are working in less than perfect conditions, and is ideal for those in the police force and military because it offers:
- Speedy Performance In spite of its bulky design, it delivers with the speed required to save lives, catch criminals, and fight the worst battles in life.
- Leading Technology Technology is what makes this mobile device king in the fully-rugged category.
- Ultimate Endurance It’s been tested to ensure that it meets the very highest military specs. No matter how horrible the conditions, this machine will help to get you through. Long-life hot-swappable batteries keep data safe and ensure you don’t run the risk of losing connection in critical circumstances.
Ideal User Profile
The TOUGHBOOK 33 has a targeted user base including first responders and those in law enforcement and the military. While understandably heavier and more bulky than Panasonic’s business-orientated and semi–rugged devices, it certainly does the job for these people:
- First Responders Ideal for all types of emergency workers from EMS teams to firefighters, the TOUGHBOOK 33 is reliable and dependable.
- Police and Military Services Whether needed in a war zone or for peace missions, this tried and tested device is fit for the job. Used by army, navy, and Air Force personnel it’s ideally suited for assignments on land, at sea, or in the air.
- Construction Workers Tough and rugged, it’s ideal for use on building sites where the need for safety is at a premium.
Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 53
Ideal for personnel that switch working environments on a regular basis, the semi-rugged Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 53 offers superior portability. Use it in the office, in your car, or in the field, it’s the perfect device for getting things done in semi-rugged environments.
Although heavier than the TOUGHBOOK 54, the TOUGHBOOK 53 is remarkably lighter than its predecessor the TOUGHBOOK 52, weighing a mere 5.6 lbs. It is also 17 percent more compact, thanks to some awesome engineering ingenuity from the team at Panasonic, including:
- Underside HDD Connector This TOUGHBOOK incorporates the hard drive as part of its body, eliminating the need for drive panels and covers.
- Bonnet-Shaped Screen-Cover The LCD screen of the device has a strong panel-cover that resembles the bonnet of a car. This makes it exceptionally durable without unnecessary extra bulk.
The TOUGHBOOK 53 also offers a wide range of custom options that can help you get the job done. These include an integrated webcam and 4G LTE broadband that improves connectivity and communication. A sunlight-viewable touchscreen and backlit keyboard are also available, making the device easy to operate in any environment.
The most advanced TOUGHBOOK 53 comes equipped with a Core i3 Processor delivering 2.5 GHZ of pure power. But that’s not all -- users can crank up the speed on-demand with Intel’s Turbo Boost option to reach 3.2 GHz operating capacity. If you face processor-intensive tasks in your line of work, this device will help accelerate your productivity by enabling you to get more done faster.
This semi-rugged machine is the perfect pick for anyone who is constantly on the go. Even though it isn’t fully rugged, it is exceptionally fast and will work as tough as you, even in rough environments. You will find it offers:
- Unmatched Mobility One of the most portable semi-rugged machines on the market, the TOUGHBOOK 53 is both lightweight and compact. It features a convenient carrying strap and is ready to be wherever you need to be.
- Impressive Power Get ready to power through tasks with the best in Intel processing power. Combined with Turbo Boost, this machine confidently delivers the power you need to get every job done just right.
- Easy Customization With its wide variety of enhancement options, this TOUGHBOOK is the perfect model to configure to your personal specifications for optimal productivity and ease-of-use.
Ideal User Profile
For those rugged work environments that require teams to always be on the move, the TOUGHBOOK 53 is a standout favorite. These are just a few industries that are taking advantage of the power of the TOUGHBOOK 53:
- Field Services and Repair Portability of equipment is a necessity for those who travel to service and repair machines on site. Thanks to the sleek, compact design of this model, leveraging computer technology to deliver superior service has never been easier.
- Warehouse and Industrial Warehouse quality assurance teams often face harsh conditions, and they need highly mobile machines that are ready to work wherever they need to be. That’s why it is no surprise the TOUGHBOOK 53 is showing up in industrial facilities and warehouses everywhere. With the processing power needed for quality management operations and a semi-rugged frame, this device works particularly well for teams on the front line of production.
- Sales Representatives Opportunity is everywhere for sales teams and there is no reason for them to feel limited by the technology available to them. This semi-rugged PC notebook allows sales professionals to confidently deliver presentations and close new business in any location. It also gives sales crews an edge against their competition along with confidence in the field.
Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 54
Well established as the lightest, thinnest semi-rugged laptop ever, the Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 54 is strong and robust, and ideal for professionals on the move, whether working in commercial or industrial settings. Available in four different models, it is also totally reliable and comes with lifetime support.
The strongest lightweight on the market, the TOUGHBOOK 54 surpasses even the super-light TOUGHBOOK 53 in the semi-rugged weight department by between 1 and 1.4 lbs, depending on the model chosen. It is also half an inch thinner than other semi-rugged notebooks. This shows how the engineering ingenuity at Panasonic just keeps getting better.
MIL-STD-810G and IP51 certified it is incredibly versatile and offers a range of unbeatable features including the choice of four different models enabling users to pick and choose the features they need.
Custom options include 4G LTE carrier mobile broadband with satellite GPS and a 1080p webcam and mic. These could be instrumental in overcoming numerous challenges where communication is key. A primary hard drive with quick release is also available, as well as hard drives with heaters for those chilly, sub-zero moments. A second drive, hot-swappable second battery, and second LAN are also on the cards.
This is a powerful little machine, geared to help you get your job done faster and more efficiently. Equipped with an Intel Core i5-6300U (i7 optional) vPro processor, it operates at 2.4 GHz standard, but up to 3.0GHz when cranked up with Turbo Boost. He Windows 10 Pro operating system can be downgraded to Windows 7.
One of the most advanced and versatile semi-rugged notebooks available, the TOUGHBOOK 54 is a game changer when it comes to business and first responder solutions in the field. Boasting improved resistance to vibration, and the ability to withstand drops of three feet, it’s as rough and tough as semi-rugged laptops come. The backlit, spill-resistant keyboard make it easy to work at night or in poor light conditions, and because the keyboard has been ergonomically designed, you’ll find you can work faster too.
Other benefits include:
- Extended Battery Life The only semi-rugged laptop that has the option of a second battery, you can get up to 18 hours continuous use with three of the four models. Even if you don’t opt for a second battery, battery life is substantially better than it was with this notebook’s predecessors.
- Stronger Tougher Casing In spite of its light weight, the TOUGHBOOK 54’s tough magnesium alloy casing covers more areas of the machine than previously. This makes it stronger and tougher, and even more dependable.
- Optional Dual Drives with Heaters This is Panasonic’s first notebook to feature optional dual drives, two of which have heaters to ensure you’ll never be left in the cold with a notebook that doesn’t work.
- Improved Speakers and Better Graphics Designed to combat noise inside moving vehicles, as well as noise in the field, the 91 dB max speakers are twice as powerful than those in the TOUGHBOOK 53. HD graphics 520 generally up the ante of this notebook, while the FirePro M5100 graphics incorporated in the superior Performance model take graphics to a whole new level.
Ideal User Profile
Highly portable, the TOUGHBOOK 54 is ideal for mobile workers who need a really dependable communication tool 24:7. Connectivity is particularly dependable, with a USB 3.0 (x3), Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260, dual pass-through antenna for WWAN/GPS, and Bluetooth 4.1 (class 1). And if that’s not good enough, you can grab the optional 4G LTE multi-carrier wireless broadband option that comes with satellite GPS.
It works fantastically well for personnel on the move across a broad range of industries, and is a common choice for:
- Police and Military Portability combined with all the features and benefits of the TOUGHBOOK 54 make it an ideal choice for police and military personnel working in civilian situations. Its trusted platform module (TPM) 1.2, cable lock slot, and Computrace theft protection increase its appeal, as does the fact that it offers optional fingerprint, contactless and insertable SmartCard readers.
- Industrial Used in many different industrial facilities, this semi-rugged beauty is ideal for quality management operations and is increasingly the favorite choice for those working on the front line of production.
- Automotive Created specifically with those in the automotive diagnostic industry in mind, the TOUGHBOOK 54 is regarded as an invaluable tool for those doing indoor maintenance and repairs. The optional touch screen stylus pen and stylus tether add a professional touch.
How To Discover The TOUGHBOOK That is Right For You
If you are still trying to figure out which TOUGHBOOK is are right for you, give the experts at MooringTech’s BuyTough a call. As an authorized Panasonic dealer, BuyTough carries all the latest models in stock. We service a wide range of industries, including:
- Emergency services
- Field Services
- Warehouses and industry
Our extensive industry and technical experience give us the ability to help you find the perfect fully rugged or semi-rugged machine for your specific needs and budget. With our massive selection of parts and accessories, you can customize your chosen tougher-than-tough laptop or tablet to your unique specifications in just one call.
Contact Mooring Tech Today
To get more info on the latest TOUGHBOOK models from a friendly, Panasonic-authorized expert, call 1-877-532-8088 now or request more information online. We look forward to serving you and meeting your needs!