- TOUGHBOOK 40 Mk1 Spec Sheet
- TOUGHBOOK 40 Mk1 Accessories
- TOUGHBOOK 40 Mk1 Federal Hardware Solutions
- TOUGHBOOK 40 Mk1 Public Sector Hardware Solutions
- TOUGHBOOK Quick Reference - Model Guide
- TOUGHBOOK Product Family Guide
What is included with a base unit?
i5 Processor: Windows 11 Professional (or downgrade to Windows 10 Professional), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi-Touch, 16GB RAM, 512GB OPAL SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard
i7 Processor: Windows 11 Professional (or downgrade to Windows 10 Professional), Intel Core i7-1185G7 (up to 4.8GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi-Touch, 16GB RAM, 512GB OPAL SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard
Let's be honest. Traditional TOUGHBOOK customers did not want to see the TOUGHBOOK 31 die and their demand keep Panasonic's long-time flagship laptop on life-support for nearly 3 years after it was due to be sunset. To be clear, it wasn't that Panasonic wanted to simply eliminate their best-selling laptop just for kicks. The TOUGHBOOK 31 had a square display and frankly, no one makes a square display anymore. It's more complicated than that of course, plus the TOUGHBOOK 33 seemed poised to be the evolution of the traditional laptop. But sometimes we humans just want a good old fashion laptop.
Fast-forward to now and the TOUGHBOOK 40. Panasonic heard their customers and said, "You want a fully-rugged traditional laptop? We'll give the best beast this market has ever seen." That's actually not a quote from Panasonic but feels more impactful when we put it in quotes. And they did just that. The TOUGHBOOK 40 is simply superb. Remarkably rugged, surprisingly powerful performance, extreme battery life, and that undeniable TOUGHBOOK look. Call for a custom quote: 877-532-8088
Integrated Features - Expansion Areas - xPAKs
Rear Expansion Area: Your choice between...
VGA + Serial (true) + LAN (ethernet) - installed with screws
HDMI + Serial (true) + USB-A - installed with screws
HDMI + USB-A x2 - installed with screws
Left Expansion Area: Your choice between...
DVD Drive- installed with screws
Blu-ray Drive- installed with screws
Insertable SmartCard CAC- installed with screws
Barcode Scanner- installed with screws
2nd SSD (512GB or 1TB) - installed with screws
Right Expansion Area: Your choice between...
2nd Battery - quick-release
Insertable SmartCard CAC - quick-release
Palm Rest Expansion Area: Your choice between...
Fingerprint Scanner (Secured-core PC) - installed with screws
Fingerprint Scanner (Active Directory) - installed with screws
Contactless Smartcard Reader - installed with screws
- 14" Full HD widescreen display
- 3200 MHz DD4 Memory
- USB-A (10Gbps), USB-C Thunderbolt (40Gbps)
- 4G LTE and 5G (Sub6 mm)
- Optional 2nd Battery and extreme battery life
- BIOS Selectable Quad-Pass Through
- OPAL or FIPS SSDs
- Optional Rubber Backlit Keyboard
- MIL-STD-810H, MIL-STD-461G, IP66
- A large, more responsive touchpad and mouse buttons
- Auto-sensing touchscreen for adjusts for rain, gloves, touch, and pen.
Current Laptop Part Numbers - TBD
SHIPPING AND LEAD-TIMES
In general, Panasonic Toughbooks, accessories and related mounting equipment are enterprise solutions that are typically custom built to order and thus carry a lead-time of anywhere from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 months. Please be advised that online orders where expedited shipping is chosen does NOT mean that specific product is in stock and will ship right away. It simply means we will ship via the selected method when the product is available to ship. We can only confirm availability over the phone or online chat. While we do our best to have a wide variety of Toughbook models and accessories in stock, this particular supply chain is challenging and we ask that customers please confirm availability with us on the phone when time is a priority. Additionally, expedited shipping will not apply to multiple items that might have multiple lead-times and ship dates. It is typically applying to the main item of an order. Again, please call us ASAP at 877-532-8088 to discuss urgent needs and expedited shipping.
Due to restrictions set by the manufacturer and their distributors, Panasonic Toughbook computers and accessories cannot be returned. Customers should refuse delivery of any visibly damaged packages. Any non-visible damage must be reported immediately to MooringTech.com. Defective or malfunctioning units must be handled directly with Panasonic at 1-800-LAPTOP5 (800-527-867). Potential exceptions to this return policy can only be arranged prior to purchasing product and only with the explicit consent of a sales representative who is firmly aware of all extenuating circumstances. Returns will not be accepted by MooringTech.com without a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA). Returned items lacking an RMA will be refused or sent back to the customer at the customer’s expense. Shipping and handling charges are always non-refundable. Please contact us at 877-532-8088 with any questions or concerns regarding this return policy.
STANDARD WARRANTYAll new Panasonic Toughbooks sourced from authorized dealers are protected from manufacturing defects for three years. The standard warranty includes a priority parts exchange program and repair service at no cost with overnight shipping to and from Panasonic included. Panasonic’s standard warranty (often referred to as “Toughbook Preferred”) also includes lifetime technical support directly with Panasonic at 1-800-LAPTOP-5. In addition, Toughbook end-users have online access to drivers, first-aid disks, BIOS updates, tools, utilities and manuals. Panasonic's Standard Manufacturer's Warranty does NOT cover accidental damage of any kind.
ORIGINAL BATTERY WARRANTY
All new batteries, whether included in the original Toughbook purchase or acquired as an accessory after the fact, are covered under warranty for one (1) year from date of purchase. Replacement batteries supplied to a customer under warranty are only covered through the end-date of the original purchase.
Extends original standard warranty (minus the battery) through 4 or 5 years.
While the standard warranty covers anything that happens to your Toughbook under normal operations (meaning manufacturer’s defects), it does NOT cover accidental damage of any kind. It is a common misconception that MIL-STD rated laptops like a Toughbook are warrantied for damage within a parameter like a 6ft drop. Meaning if you drop your Toughbook from 3 feet and it breaks then it is covered by the standard warranty. This is NOT correct. It is impossible for Panasonic to know if it were 3 inches or 3 stories. The only way to be covered from accidental damage is to purchase a Protection Plus or Ultimate Care warranty upgrade. Protection Plus covers one major component failure per year and is limited to one complete device replacement during the warranty period.
ULTIMATE CAREUltimate Care is essentially unlimited Protection Plus. This means Panasonic will fix or replace your Toughbook an unlimited number of times within the upgraded warranty period. It does not apply in the case of natural disasters (think hurricane or fire) as well as theft/lose and intentional damage (you as the customer trying to upgrade an internal component when you shouldn’t).
This upgrade stands alone and is applied to any warranty or upgraded warranty you have on a Toughbook. Meaning if you have Ultimate Care, it also will now be on-site with Panasonic’s onsite upgrade. Panasonic will send out a Panasonic-certified technician to your door to perform repairs onsite.
MooringTech.com expressly disclaim all warranties either express or implied, including any implied warranty of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose. MooringTech.com shall have no liability to anyone for incidental or consequential damages or any other liability, loss or damage arising out of or related to the merchandise. All merchandise is sold "AS IS." MooringTech.com makes no warranty as to the performance of any merchandise sold. We are not responsible for system downtime, lost data, etc. This disclaimer by “MooringTech.com” in no way affects the terms of a manufacturer's warranty. All trademarks or service marks are property of their respective owners. All new products come with the full manufacturer's warranty. Please contact the manufacturer to arrange for the warranty handling of all defective products. MooringTech.com does not provide any kind of repair services. Panasonic Support can be reached at 1-800-LAPTOP-5.
1. Copyright for the Company's website and all material appearing on it, such as text, photographs, images, music, and audio, (referred to collectively below as "content") belongs to the Company, the original author, or other entities.
2. Duplication, public transmission, modification, deletion, or reproduction on your website of content from the Company's website without the authorization of the copyright holder, whether the Company, the original author, or another entity, is prohibited under copyright law, except for printing or storage for personal use, or other specific use permitted under copyright law. You are therefore requested to contact the Company to obtain permission before making use of content appearing on the website. Note that permission to use such content may be refused if it contains portraits that are protected under law, copyrighted material or trademarks belonging to third parties, etc., or if the intended usage is deemed inappropriate by the Company.
3. If use is made of content with the permission of the Company, you are requested to display the copyright notice specified by the Company. Modification or deletion of the copyright notice without prior notice to the Company is prohibited.
1. Rights to the trademarks, logos, and product names appearing on the Company's website belong to the Company or to other entities. Usage of the above without authorization from the Company or the right holder is prohibited under trademark law, except for specific use permitted under trademark law or other laws. You are therefore requested to contact the Company to obtain permission before making use of trademarks, etc., appearing on the website.
USE OF WEBSITE
1. The content and other information appearing on the website are provided on "AS IS" basis. The Company makes no representation and warranty, either express or implied, as to the accuracy, usefulness, or certainty of any of the content or other information appearing on the website. The Company assumes no responsibility for any harm or loss to you that may arise through the use of content or other information appearing on the website.
2. The Company reserves the right to change or discontinue any or all elements of the website, including its structure, usage conditions, URL, and content or other information without prior notice.
3. The Company reserves the right to interrupt or discontinue operation of the website without prior notice.
LINKS TO WEBSITE
1. When linking to the Company's website (including listing the URL of the Company's website in a printed publication such as a magazine or a book), you are requested to contact the Company. Note that a lack of response from the Company does not indicate approval of the request to link to the website.
2. You are requested to contact the administrator (webmaster@MooringTech.com) should the website where the link to the Company's website appears undergo major changes.
3. Links to the Company's website should point to the top page's URL (http://MooringTech.com).
4. When linking to the Company's website, you are requested to specify the name of the Company as an owner of linked page in the form "MooringTech.com" or "Mooring Tech, Inc. " and to take care to avoid errors in spelling, etc. When using a banner logo for the link, make sure to use the banner logo shown below. Trademark and intellectual property rights for the banner logo belong to the Company. If the banner logo is used, it must not be modified or changed in any way (shape, color, text, etc.).
5.) Linking to the Company's website is not permitted if any of the following is the case, or is suspected of being the case.
-If the website linking to the Company's website libels or defames the Company, its subsidiaries, their officers, or their employees.
- If the website linking to the Company's website is deleterious to public order and morals, or could otherwise harm the trustworthiness or dignity of the Company.
- If the format of the link makes it unclear that the material it references comes from the Company's website, such as links whose targets appear within a frame on your website.
- If the link is presented in a manner that could create the mistaken impression of a collaborative or cooperative relationship between you and the Company, or the mistaken impression that the Company certifies or supports your website on which the link appears. If the link is judged by the Company to be inappropriate for any other reason.
6. With regard to links to the Company's website to which any of the items listed in 4-5. above apply, the Company may request deletion of the link even if authorization has been granted previously.
1. Occasionally the Company will solicit from your suggestions, ideas, etc., via specific websites it operates. In such cases, the handling of the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted shall be subject to the conditions stipulated in the submission guidelines posted on the website.
2. Except as described in 5-1. above, the Company does not accept suggestions, ideas, etc., from customers via the Web, e-mail, or postal mail.
3. Sending any suggestions, ideas, etc. to the Company via the Web, e-mail, or postal mail in spite of 5-1. and 5-2. above, you will agree the conditions listed below.
- The Company assumes no obligation to maintain confidentiality regarding the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted.
-The Company assumes no obligation to study, evaluate, or utilize the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted.
-The Company assumes no responsibility to compensate in any way the submitter or any third party even in the event that a product or service similar in whole or in part to the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted is announced or released by the Company.
-The Company may freely use at its discretion the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted. In addition, the submitter may not exercise copyright or any other rights regarding the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted.
2. Except where otherwise stipulated, the US District Court shall be the court of first jurisdiction for all disputes related to the Company's website.
INQUIRIES - Please contact the administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) to submit any questions or comments you may have regarding the Company's website, permission to link to it, etc.
How long before my TOUGHBOOK 40 order ships?
Panasonic TOUGHBOOK laptops, tablets, and handhelds are typically considered enterprise solutions that are built to order and can often carry a 30-60+ day lead-time. However, we do our best to have a variety of TOUGHBOOK 40 models in stock. However, due to a variety of supply chain issues, we do anticipate a longer lead-time of 75-150 days during 2022. Please be sure to call, email, or chat with us to confirm what is currently available and what might take time to ship.
Does the screen detach on the TOUGHBOOK 40?
No, the TOUGHBOOK 40 is a traditional clamshell-style laptop. Detachable 2-in-1 alternatives would be the fully-rugged TOUGHBOOK 33 as a larger, heavier option or the fully-rugged TOUGHBOOK G2 as a smaller, more portable option.
What features or integrated options are user-upgradeable on the TOUGHBOOK 40?
Almost everything! RAM, SSD options, the keyboard, DVD Drive, Blu-ray Drive, smartcard readers, barcode scanner, and a fingerprint scanner. #BOOM. The only features that are NOT user-upgradeable are a 4G LTE, 5G, dedicated GPS receiver, the processor (i5 vs i7), a future dedicated graphics upgrade, and special no-wireless / no-camera federal models.
What is an xPAK?
Panasonic calls their Expansion Packs for customizable expansion areas “xPAKs” for short. This is the genius of the TOUGHBOOK 40 which allows authorized dealers and even end-users to easily customize their solution at the time of purchase and beyond. xPAKs are either quick-release, meaning they slide in and out at will, or require just a few straightforward screws. xPAKs can also be locked into place with a screw to either prevent accidental or easy intentional removal if desired.
What screws are included when purchasing the spare screw pack (FZ-VSW551U)?
There are 9 interchangeable screws that are a mix of silver and black. xPAKs will come with the proper screws to install initially, but this screw pack can be used as spare screws (in case you lose the original) or the screw necessary to lock a feature into place.
Are the Solid-State Hard Drives removable?
Yes, even though the SSD on the TOUGHBOOK 40 is an m.2 SATA form factor, it resides in a removable caddy that has a quick-release lever. This is very relevant and important to certain end-users, including Federal or Federal-related customers who require this feature. As technology evolves to the m.2 SATA form factor and away from a traditional 2.5” SATA design, this innovation is a welcome characteristic of the TOUGHBOOK 40 and clearly the path forward for future devices.
Is the primary and optional secondary battery removable?
Yes. Both batteries are identical and both slots have a quick-release lever and design.
How long do the batteries last?
A TOUGHBOOK 40 battery offers up to 16 hours of battery life. Because the TOUGHBOOK 40 can hold (2) of these batteries at once, you can potentially expect up to 36 hours of overall battery life. These results are based on a universal battery test called MobileMark 2014. The specific test used is referred to as a Productivity Scenario, which sets the unit on a 150 NIT display brightness, uses Wi-Fi for web browsing, and performs basic tasks such as word processing and/or spreadsheet manipulation. No other features like 4G LTE or dGPS are used and the screen brightness is on the lower end. In practice, most customers can realistically expect somewhere between 60-90% of this possible battery life claim as most people tend to set a brighter display and use more resources. Regardless, 24+ hours of battery is remarkable.
What does “vPro” mean?
To a normal consumer, vPro isn’t really relevant. This feature is typically leveraged by large companies and government agencies to allow IT departments remote management of their deployed computer hardware assets. It also adds Intel® Hardware Shield.
Does it come with a stylus pen and tether?
Yes! the new TOUGHBOOK 40 will come standard with a stylus and tether.
If I am a First Responder, can I get access to FirstNet and Band 14?
Yes, the TOUGHBOOK 40 offers an optional 4G or 5G modem that is FirstNet Ready and supports Band14.
Do I have to purchase a new desktop or vehicle dock if I had those for my TOUGHBOOK 31?
Yes. The TOUGHBOOK 40 has an entirely different footprint than the TOUGHBOOK 31 and will require a different desktop or vehicle docking station if needed.