- TOUGHBOOK 55 Mk1 Spec Sheet
- TOUGHBOOK 55 vs. TOUGHBOOK 54 - Comparison
- TOUGHBOOK 55 FAQ
- TOUGHBOOK Quick Reference - Model Guide
- TOUGHBOOK Product Family Guide
What is included with a base unit?
Non-touch: Win10 Pro, Intel Core i5-8365U 1.6GHz, vPro, 14.0" HD, 512GB SSD, 8GB, Intel Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, TPM 2.0, Infrared Webcam, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Flat
Touchscreen: Win10 Pro, Intel Core i5-8365U 1.6GHz, vPro, 14.0" FHD 1000 NIT Gloved Multi Touch, 512GB SSD, 8GB, Intel Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, TPM 2.0, Infrared Webcam, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Flat
The Panasonic TOUGHBOOK 55 continues the legacy of the semi-rugged traditional clamshell style TOUGHBOOK 54. In some ways the FZ-55 is simply the Mk4 of the CF-55. For instance, the new TOUGHBOOK 55 is completely backwards compatible with any existing desktop or vehicle docking stations for the TOUGHBOOK 54. In other ways the TOUGHBOOK 55 is a trail blazing paradigm shift in how Panasonic plans to design their products and offer user-customizable modules that allow quick changes to the configuration of what are traditionally long-lead time custom-built enterprise solutions. The idea is to future-proof a device to the most extent possible and provide flexibility with adding or changing certain features and integrated options. Long-time TOUGHBOOK users who have in the past experienced long waits for product to deliver or frustrating realities of being stuck with the original configuration will delight with this fundamental change in Panasonic's approach.
Integrated Features - Expansion Areas - xPAKs
Rear Expansion Area: Your choice between...
VGA + Serial + USB-A (screws)
VGA + Serial + Rugged Fischer USB (screws)
VGA + Serial + LAN (screws)
Front Expansion Area: Your choice between...
2nd Battery (quick-release)
Fingerprint Reader (quick-release)
Contactless SmartCard CAC (quick-release)
Insertable SmartCard CAC (quick-release)
Universal Bay Expansion Area: Your choice between...
Insertable SmartCard CAC Reader (screws)
DVD Drive (screws)
Blu-ray Drive (screws)
AMD Dedicated Graphics (screws)
2nd SSD Drive (quick-release)
- Spill-resistant keyboard
- Magnesium alloy case with handle
- Day/Night Mode (configurable)
- Integrated dual speakers (up to 92db)
- 1080p webcam with privacy cover
- Stylus pen, stylus holder and cleaning cloth standard on touchscreen model
- Color-selectable emissive backlit keyboard with 4 adjustable levels
- Optional Blu-ray Drive
- Optional 4G LTE EM7511 Band 14 multi carrier mobile broadband with satellite GPS
- Hot swap with optional 2nd battery
- NIST BIOS compliant
- 4.6 lbs. (HD model), 4.9 lbs. (Touch FHD model)
SHIPPING AND LEAD-TIMES
In general, Panasonic Toughbooks, accessories and related mounting equipment are enterprise solutions that are typically custom built to order and thus carry a lead-time of anywhere from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 months. Please be advised that online orders where expedited shipping is chosen does NOT mean that specific product is in stock and will ship right away. It simply means we will ship via the selected method when the product is available to ship. We can only confirm availability over the phone or online chat. While we do our best to have a wide variety of Toughbook models and accessories in stock, this particular supply chain is challenging and we ask that customers please confirm availability with us on the phone when time is a priority. Additionally, expedited shipping will not apply to multiple items that might have multiple lead-times and ship dates. It is typically applying to the main item of an order. Again, please call us ASAP at 877-532-8088 to discuss urgent needs and expedited shipping.
Due to restrictions set by the manufacturer and their distributors, Panasonic Toughbook computers and accessories cannot be returned. Customers should refuse delivery of any visibly damaged packages. Any non-visible damage must be reported immediately to MooringTech.com. Defective or malfunctioning units must be handled directly with Panasonic at 1-800-LAPTOP5 (800-527-867). Potential exceptions to this return policy can only be arranged prior to purchasing product and only with the explicit consent of a sales representative who is firmly aware of all extenuating circumstances. Returns will not be accepted by MooringTech.com without a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA). Returned items lacking an RMA will be refused or sent back to the customer at the customer’s expense. Shipping and handling charges are always non-refundable. Please contact us at 877-532-8088 with any questions or concerns regarding this return policy.
STANDARD WARRANTYAll new Panasonic Toughbooks sourced from authorized dealers are protected from manufacturing defects for three years. The standard warranty includes a priority parts exchange program and repair service at no cost with overnight shipping to and from Panasonic included. Panasonic’s standard warranty (often referred to as “Toughbook Preferred”) also includes lifetime technical support directly with Panasonic at 1-800-LAPTOP-5. In addition, Toughbook end-users have online access to drivers, first-aid disks, BIOS updates, tools, utilities and manuals. Panasonic's Standard Manufacturer's Warranty does NOT cover accidental damage of any kind.
ORIGINAL BATTERY WARRANTY
All new batteries, whether included in the original Toughbook purchase or acquired as an accessory after the fact, are covered under warranty for one (1) year from date of purchase. Replacement batteries supplied to a customer under warranty are only covered through the end-date of the original purchase.
Extends original standard warranty (minus the battery) through 4 or 5 years.
While the standard warranty covers anything that happens to your Toughbook under normal operations (meaning manufacturer’s defects), it does NOT cover accidental damage of any kind. It is a common misconception that MIL-STD rated laptops like a Toughbook are warrantied for damage within a parameter like a 6ft drop. Meaning if you drop your Toughbook from 3 feet and it breaks then it is covered by the standard warranty. This is NOT correct. It is impossible for Panasonic to know if it were 3 inches or 3 stories. The only way to be covered from accidental damage is to purchase a Protection Plus or Ultimate Care warranty upgrade. Protection Plus covers one major component failure per year and is limited to one complete device replacement during the warranty period.
ULTIMATE CAREUltimate Care is essentially unlimited Protection Plus. This means Panasonic will fix or replace your Toughbook an unlimited number of times within the upgraded warranty period. It does not apply in the case of natural disasters (think hurricane or fire) as well as theft/lose and intentional damage (you as the customer trying to upgrade an internal component when you shouldn’t).
This upgrade stands alone and is applied to any warranty or upgraded warranty you have on a Toughbook. Meaning if you have Ultimate Care, it also will now be on-site with Panasonic’s onsite upgrade. Panasonic will send out a Panasonic-certified technician to your door to perform repairs onsite.
MooringTech.com expressly disclaim all warranties either express or implied, including any implied warranty of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose. MooringTech.com shall have no liability to anyone for incidental or consequential damages or any other liability, loss or damage arising out of or related to the merchandise. All merchandise is sold "AS IS." MooringTech.com makes no warranty as to the performance of any merchandise sold. We are not responsible for system downtime, lost data, etc. This disclaimer by “MooringTech.com” in no way affects the terms of a manufacturer's warranty. All trademarks or service marks are property of their respective owners. All new products come with the full manufacturer's warranty. Please contact the manufacturer to arrange for the warranty handling of all defective products. MooringTech.com does not provide any kind of repair services. Panasonic Support can be reached at 1-800-LAPTOP-5.
1. Copyright for the Company's website and all material appearing on it, such as text, photographs, images, music, and audio, (referred to collectively below as "content") belongs to the Company, the original author, or other entities.
2. Duplication, public transmission, modification, deletion, or reproduction on your website of content from the Company's website without the authorization of the copyright holder, whether the Company, the original author, or another entity, is prohibited under copyright law, except for printing or storage for personal use, or other specific use permitted under copyright law. You are therefore requested to contact the Company to obtain permission before making use of content appearing on the website. Note that permission to use such content may be refused if it contains portraits that are protected under law, copyrighted material or trademarks belonging to third parties, etc., or if the intended usage is deemed inappropriate by the Company.
3. If use is made of content with the permission of the Company, you are requested to display the copyright notice specified by the Company. Modification or deletion of the copyright notice without prior notice to the Company is prohibited.
1. Rights to the trademarks, logos, and product names appearing on the Company's website belong to the Company or to other entities. Usage of the above without authorization from the Company or the right holder is prohibited under trademark law, except for specific use permitted under trademark law or other laws. You are therefore requested to contact the Company to obtain permission before making use of trademarks, etc., appearing on the website.
USE OF WEBSITE
1. The content and other information appearing on the website are provided on "AS IS" basis. The Company makes no representation and warranty, either express or implied, as to the accuracy, usefulness, or certainty of any of the content or other information appearing on the website. The Company assumes no responsibility for any harm or loss to you that may arise through the use of content or other information appearing on the website.
2. The Company reserves the right to change or discontinue any or all elements of the website, including its structure, usage conditions, URL, and content or other information without prior notice.
3. The Company reserves the right to interrupt or discontinue operation of the website without prior notice.
LINKS TO WEBSITE
1. When linking to the Company's website (including listing the URL of the Company's website in a printed publication such as a magazine or a book), you are requested to contact the Company. Note that a lack of response from the Company does not indicate approval of the request to link to the website.
2. You are requested to contact the administrator (webmaster@MooringTech.com) should the website where the link to the Company's website appears undergo major changes.
3. Links to the Company's website should point to the top page's URL (http://MooringTech.com).
4. When linking to the Company's website, you are requested to specify the name of the Company as an owner of linked page in the form "MooringTech.com" or "Mooring Tech, Inc. " and to take care to avoid errors in spelling, etc. When using a banner logo for the link, make sure to use the banner logo shown below. Trademark and intellectual property rights for the banner logo belong to the Company. If the banner logo is used, it must not be modified or changed in any way (shape, color, text, etc.).
5.) Linking to the Company's website is not permitted if any of the following is the case, or is suspected of being the case.
-If the website linking to the Company's website libels or defames the Company, its subsidiaries, their officers, or their employees.
- If the website linking to the Company's website is deleterious to public order and morals, or could otherwise harm the trustworthiness or dignity of the Company.
- If the format of the link makes it unclear that the material it references comes from the Company's website, such as links whose targets appear within a frame on your website.
- If the link is presented in a manner that could create the mistaken impression of a collaborative or cooperative relationship between you and the Company, or the mistaken impression that the Company certifies or supports your website on which the link appears. If the link is judged by the Company to be inappropriate for any other reason.
6. With regard to links to the Company's website to which any of the items listed in 4-5. above apply, the Company may request deletion of the link even if authorization has been granted previously.
1. Occasionally the Company will solicit from your suggestions, ideas, etc., via specific websites it operates. In such cases, the handling of the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted shall be subject to the conditions stipulated in the submission guidelines posted on the website.
2. Except as described in 5-1. above, the Company does not accept suggestions, ideas, etc., from customers via the Web, e-mail, or postal mail.
3. Sending any suggestions, ideas, etc. to the Company via the Web, e-mail, or postal mail in spite of 5-1. and 5-2. above, you will agree the conditions listed below.
- The Company assumes no obligation to maintain confidentiality regarding the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted.
-The Company assumes no obligation to study, evaluate, or utilize the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted.
-The Company assumes no responsibility to compensate in any way the submitter or any third party even in the event that a product or service similar in whole or in part to the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted is announced or released by the Company.
-The Company may freely use at its discretion the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted. In addition, the submitter may not exercise copyright or any other rights regarding the suggestions, ideas, etc., submitted.
2. Except where otherwise stipulated, the US District Court shall be the court of first jurisdiction for all disputes related to the Company's website.
INQUIRIES - Please contact the administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) to submit any questions or comments you may have regarding the Company's website, permission to link to it, etc.
Does the screen detach on the TOUGHBOOK 55?
No, the TOUGHBOOK 55 is a traditional clamshell style laptop. Detachable 2-in-1 alternatives would be the fully-rugged TOUGHBOOK 33 as a larger, heavier option or the fully-rugged TOUGHBOOK 20 as a smaller, more portable option.
What features or integrated options are user-upgradeable on the TOUGHBOOK 55?
Almost everything! RAM, SSD options, the keyboard, dedicated graphics, DVD Drive, Blu-ray Drive, smartcard readers and a fingerprint scanner. #BOOM. The only features that are NOT user-upgradeable are a 4G LTE modem, dedicated GPS receiver and special no-wireless / no-camera federal models.
What is a xPAK?
Panasonic calls their Expansion Packs for customizable expansion areas “xPAKs” for short. This is the genius of the TOUGHBOOK 55 which allows authorized dealers and even end-users to easily customize their solution at the time of purchase and beyond. xPAKs are either quick-release, meaning they slide in and out at will, or require just a few straight forward screws. xPAKs can also be locked into place with a screw to either prevent accidental or easy intentional removal if desired.
What screws are included when purchasing the spare screw pack (FZ-VSW551U)?
There are 9 interchangeable screws that are a mix of silver and black. xPAKs will come with the proper screws to install initially, but this screw pack can be used as spare screws (in case you lose the original) or the screw necessary to lock a feature into place.
Are the Solid-State Hard Drives removeable?
Yes, even though the SSDs on the TOUGHBOOK 55 are a m.2 SATA form factor, they reside in a removeable caddie that has a quick release lever. This is very relevant and important to certain end-users, including Federal or Federal-related customers who require this feature. As technology evolves to the m.2 SATA form factor and away from a traditional 2.5” SATA design, this innovation is a welcome characteristic of the FZ-55 and clearly the path forward on future devices.
Is the primary, original battery and optional secondary battery removable?
Yes. Both batteries are identical and both slots have a quick-release lever and design.
How long do the batteries last?
A TOUGHBOOK 55 battery offers up to 20 hours of battery life. Because the TOUGHBOOK 55 can hold (2) of these batteries at once, you can potentially expect up to 40 hours of overall battery life. These results are based on a universal battery test called MobileMark 2014. The specific test used is referred to as a Productivity Scenario, which sets the unit on a 150 NIT display brightness, uses Wi-Fi for web browsing and performs basic tasks such as word processing and/or spreadsheet manipulation. No other features like 4G LTE or dGPS are used and the screen brightness is on the lower end. Remember that the touchscreen version offers up to a 1000 NIT display for direct sunlight viewing and would certainly affect these results greatly. In practice, most customers can realistically expect somewhere between 60-90% of this possible battery life claim as most people tend to set a brighter display (on the touchscreen version) and use more resources.
Why are their two different 8th Gen processors?
In a somewhat confusing move, Intel designates both their “Kaby Lake Refresh” and “Whiskey Lake” processors as 8th Generation. Whiskey Lake processors are newer, provide improved performance and can unofficially be seen as an 8.5 Gen processor. Kaby Lake Refresh processors end in a “0” while Whiskey Lake processors end in a “5”. This is an important detail to know when comparing the TOUGHBOOK 55 to the competition that are only offering either 7th gen processors or 8th gen Kaby Lake Refresh processors. The TOUGHBOOK 55 offers only Whiskey Lake 8th gen processors!
What does “vPro” mean?
To a normal consumer, vPro isn’t really relevant. This feature is typically leveraged by large companies and government agencies to allow IT departments remote management of their deployed computer hardware assets. It also adds Intel® Hardware Shield.
How secure is the TOUGHBOOK 55?
Panasonic’s TOUGHBOOK 55 offers a huge number of standard and optional security measures for both hardware, software and data integrity. This includes TPM 2.0, NIST BIOS, Intel vPro™, Intel Hardware Shield, Absolute Persistence® technology embedded in the BIOS, up to 256-bit AES Wi-Fi encryption, optional OPAL encrypted drives, optional insertable, contactless SmartCard CAC and fingerprint readers, and an infrared webcam with Windows Hello for facial recognition. The TOUGHBOOK 55 can also be equipped with dual storage drives and a special BIOS that can support RAID-1 mirroring for backing up data to both SSDs simultaneously. Be advised that this is a very special-order option.
How safe is the TOUGHBOOK 55?
Panasonic’s TOUGHBOOK 55 semi-rugged clamshell style laptop provides a fan, specific coloring and magnesium alloy to allow advanced heat dissipation. Together with Panasonic’s TOUGHBOOK Smart Battery Technology, the TOUGHBOOK 55 offers absurd battery life in the safest way possible.
What is new about the keyboard?
Panasonic has always offered backlit keyboard options for viewing a TOUGHBOOK keyboard in low-light situations. Now, the TOUGHBOOK 55 allows end-users to select their keyboard color and it is also three-times as bright. There are a handful of preset color options as well as the ability to custom create your color of choice. Remember, this is only relevant when attempting to view or use the keyboard in a low light situation such as at night in a vehicle. The lights behind each key are not really visible during the day or inside with all the lights on. Also, the TOUGHBOOK 55’s keyboard is slightly wider than its predecessor and the touchpad now offers no seams and is 25% larger.
Are the speakers decent?
The TOUGHBOOK 55 offers pretty darn good 92db speakers. This is a significant improvement over previous devices. For comparison, noise on a busy highway or inside a police vehicle with the sirens on can range between 80-95 db. Those are VERY loud environments and the TOUGHBOOK 55 speakers can likely still be heard.
I assume I can use my TOUGHBOOK 54 in the rain, correct?
Well…not really. Yes, the TOUGHBOOK 55 does up the durability game of a semi-rugged device to IP53. And yes, that does provide better protection than other devices that are at IP51 or IP52. And, yes you are correct…there is a cool TOUGHBOOK 55 IP53 splash video out there that demonstrates this feature. However, true, legitimate use in steady rain is best left to a fully-rugged device like the TOUGHBOOK 33, TOUGHBOOK 20, or TOUGHBOOK G1. Those devices are IP65 rated and really better suited for prolonged or intentional use outside in rain.
Does it come with a stylus pen and tether?
Yes! The touchscreen version of the TOUGHBOOK 54 annoyingly did NOT come with a stylus pen, stylus tether or even a slot for the pen without a special order. The new TOUGHBOOK 55 touchscreen version will come standard with all of these (the pen, the tether and a slot for the pen).
If I am a First Responder, can I get access to FirstNet and Band 14?
Yes, the TOUGHBOOK 55 offers an optional 4G LTE (EM7511) modem that is FirstNet Ready and supports Band14.
Do I have to purchase a new desktop or vehicle dock if I had those for my TOUGHBOOK 54?
No. The TOUGHBOOK 55 is 100% backwards compatible with TOUGHBOOK 54 desktop docks and vehicle docks from Gamber-Johnson and Havis. This is also true for the AC Power adapter.